A homeowner may be eligible for a reduction in the valuation of their property if they:
- Have their permanent residence in Durham on April 1
- Are a veteran who was honorably discharged
- Served during a recognized war period in the U.S. Armed Forces
- Are 62 or older or an unremarried widow/widower of a qualifying veteran
- Are under 62 but 100% disabled due to a service-related disability
- An application along with proof of service and discharge, such as a copy of their DD214 must be provided. For veterans who served during World War II or later the exemption is a $6,000 reduction in valuation.