View Contact Info
Hours of Operation
The Code Enforcement Officer is available by appointment.
How to Reach Us
Code Enforcement Officer
Phone: (207) 376-6558
- To access a statewide septic system permit search from the years 2000 to present, click here.
- The Town of Durham does not have specific Fireworks Ordinances. As such, the State Guide to Consumer Fireworks Use can be found here.
SCROLL DOWN FOR PERMIT APPLICATIONS.
When do I need a permit?
Town of Durham ordinances do not require a permit for:
- One story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet.
- Fences not over six feet high
- Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall
- Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
- Swings and other playground equipment
- Decks that do not exceed 200 square feet in area, that are not more than 30 inches above grade at any point within 36 inches of the deck, are not attached to the dwelling and do not serve as the exit door to the structure as defined in Section R507 of the IRC Codes
Other construction not defined above requires a permit, including:
- The replacement of plumbing fixtures and faucets does not need a permit but if the water shutoffs or any drain portion past the trap line needs work it will require a permit;
- All electrical work;
- No driveway, entrance or approach within the limits of the Right of Way for any Town of Durham public road or approved private road may be constructed, reconstructed except in accordance with Driveway and Entrance Permit issued by the Town of Durham upon application;
- All work related to the septic system other than periodic pumping of the tank or cleaning of the tank filters.
- Conditional Use Application (for an application contact Codes Officer)
- Driveway Permit Application
- Indoor Plumbing Permit Application
- Subsurface Wastewater Application (HHE 200)
- Building Permit Application (Effective as of April 28, 2018 the Town of Durham is now following the 2015 MUBEC Codes)
- Electrical Permit Application
- Back Lot Application Instructions
- Special Event Temporary Permit Application
- Application for Variance or Appeal
- Application for Address