Code Enforcement

Code Enforcement Officer

Alan Plummer, Code Enforcement Officer

Contact: 207-376-6558 cell

Email the Code Enforcement Officer

To access a statewide septic system permit search from the years 2000 to present, click here.



When do I need a permit?

Town of Durham ordinances do not require a permit for:

  • One-story detached accessory structures that are used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet.
  • Fences not over six feet high
  • Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall
  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, countertops, and similar finish work.
  • Swings and other playground equipment
  • Decks that do not exceed 200 square feet in area, that are not more than 30 inches above grade at any point within 36 inches of the deck, are not attached to the dwelling and do not serve as the exit door to the structure as defined in Section R507 of the IRC Codes

Other construction not defined above requires a permit, including:

  • The replacement of plumbing fixtures and faucets does not need a permit but if the water shutoffs or any drain portion past the trap line needs work it will require a permit;
  • All electrical work;
  • No driveway, entrance or approach within the limits of the Right of Way for any Town of Durham public road or approved private road may be constructed, reconstructed except in accordance with Driveway and Entrance Permit issued by the Town of Durham upon application; 
  • All work related to the septic system other than periodic pumping of the tank or cleaning of the tank filters.